Jacquard dye-na-flow

Batik with Soy Wax and Dye-na-Flow Textile Paint - Day 2

Here are some pictures from the second day of my batik with soy wax and textile paints workshop. I was up at the Fletcher Farm School for Arts and Crafts in Ludlow, VT.

We were using soy wax flakes for batik and Jacquard Dye-na-Flow textile paints. If you want to read about how this technique is executed click here to read about the first day. Or simply scroll down.


This is a great example of how the layering effect is achieved. This is Dana's piece. In the above photo you can see her first layer on the right hand side. Using the Dye-na-Flow in spray bottles she sprayed pale yellow and a bit of coral on the white fabric. she them laid down her first layer of wax. On the left hand side she is beginning to paint the second layer of paint. The wax will resist this layer of paint preserving the original colors of the fabric. When the paint dries she filled in all the areas she wanted to stay that second color with wax and so forth. Below is the finished piece.

Everyone thought it looked very Indian.





Here is someone beginning to remove the wax by placing her piece between layers of plain newsprint and then using a dry iron over the piece. She'll keep replacing the paper and keep ironing until almost all the wax has been removed. The last little bit will be washed out in the washing machine set on hot.


Drying the paint but being careful not to let the sun remelt the wax!!!


Above is one of Hallee's pieces. She works on small pieces of fabric to use as pockets on her tot bags.
If you click on the image to enlarge it you'll see that some of the wax has a milky color to it. that means that for a variety of reasons the wax did not fully penetrate the fabric. This will allow the paint to lightly seep under the wax. Generally thought of as a mistake it actually works to Hallee's advantage here.
With the wax ironed out you can readily see the areas where the wax resist fully penetrated the fabric and where it didn't. 



This is another one of Hallee's. The image above shows some of the early stages of the wax and paint applications. In the image below, the piece is second in from the left. You can see how with each application the piece gets darker and darker as she very successfully worked from light to dark.




Sookie worked with silk scarf blanks.


Really beautiful this scarf is loaded with texture and depth.


This is Maddy with her silk scarf. She just tore off a piece of silk from her stash and plans to hem it later.


Created by Marilyn the above image shows a great use of color and the traditional batik "crackle".


Linda also worked with a variation of tones and tints of the same 2 colors. She free hand "drew" the flowers using a tjanting tool. The three shapes on the bottom with a leaf motif was made with a metal cooking spatula dipped in hot wax then stamped onto the fabric.


This is one of Jeanne's pieces. She created a beautiful color palette and a wonderful overall sense of movement in the piece. You might recognize the main circular image. It was created by loading a metal potato masher with hot wax and then stamping it onto the fabric.

I think that is enough for today. I'll share the last of the images with you tomorrow!
Have a great day everyone and don't forget to click on the images for a larger view.

Creative Arts Workshop

I spent this past weekend in New Haven, CT.
I had gone to teach a 2-day Painting on Silk workshop at 
a wonderful place called the
but
I had also gone home to the town where I grew up.
in fact I took classes at the CAW
as a youngster when it was located in the basement of an old synagoge,
and later as a teenager
I took figure drawing and painting classes in the evening
in its new facility.
my Mom knew that making art was already my life blood.

the memories were abundant.
the smells, the ghost sounds
the voices of those who taught me
years before.
I am grateful to Kate, the current director
for being so welcoming and 
enthusiastic about their new fiber department,
of which I will continue to be a part of.

I am of course grateful to
 my students,
who were nothing short of amazing,
and from whom I learned so much.


Day One - Applying the water based gutta-like resist.

Rita working out her design

Judith's piece

Barbara working out her design

Ellen and Judith

Rita's piece

Ellen's piece


Day Two - Painting using Jacquard Dye-na-Flow

Judith

Rita resource chart in the making
Rita's piece before the background was painted in.

Rita's piece after using Gail Callahan's Color Grid to figure out what color to use for the background.

Ellen's piece


All the lovely Ladies!


if this had been a 3-day workshop
we would have heat set the paint and
washed out the resist in class.
now we'll just have to wait to see
the finished pieces!